2023 RYSE MPLS SUMMER MEDIA CAMP
RYSE MPLS Summer Media Camp is currently full. Please apply to be added to the waitlist.
RYSE MPLS (Representing Youth Stories and Experiences in Minneapolis) Summer Media Camp is a free 2-week program in August for high school students interested in media, technology and storytelling. RYSE provides teens with an immersive creative and career development opportunity and the tools to develop short documentaries. Students will collaborate with local media professionals, their peers, and be paired with community partners to bring a story they are passionate about to life, ready for the big screen and TV!
Two cohorts will be offered in Minneapolis, and run Monday through Friday from 10am - 4pm:
Cohort 1: July 31 - August 11, 2023 (12 spots full)- waitlist
Cohort 2: August 14 - August 25, 2023 (12 spots full)- waitlist
Additional program days for both cohorts include 8/30 and 8/31 for the screening event and celebration. Programming will take place at our South Minneapolis location at 2429 Nicollet Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55404.
- $200 stipends, nutritious meals/snacks and Metro Transit passes
- Mentoring and community-building opportunities with local media professionals and community partners
- Professional media training in camera operation, studio and field production, video editing, podcasting, documentary scriptwriting, effective storytelling and more
- SPEAK MPLS annual Storyteller membership (a $200 value) to advance their journey in media with access to production studios, media labs equipment and discounted classes
HOW TO APPLY
So what are you waiting for? Apply now for Summer Media Camp and get ready to tell stories that make a difference! Applications are currently open, available below and will be accepted until filled. We will begin reviewing applications and accepting students into the program beginning June 1st. Please contact SPEAK MPLS with any questions, or if you need assistance completing the application at email@example.com or 612-208-7215.
Tell me more about the program!
- RYSE MPLS programming will be held at SPEAK MPLS South located at 2429 Nicollet Avenue.
- As an immersive, daily program, all participants are required to attend all program days and the final screening event on August 31st. Exceptions must be approved in advance.
- All students will receive a $200 stipend at the end of the program
- Daily breakfast, lunch, and snacks will be provided
- Students needing bus cards will be provided Metro Transit passes, upon request
Who is encouraged to apply to the RYSE MPLS Summer Media Camp?
We recognize that youth have unique identities and experiences that aren’t always represented in media. While RYSE MPLS welcomes applications from all students, those who identify as the following are encouraged to apply:
- High school students enrolled in 9th-12th grade at Minneapolis Public Schools for the 2023-2024 academic year (current 8th grade and graduating 12th grade students will be considered)
- Students who qualify for free or reduced lunch
- Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) students
- English language learners
- Students with disabilities
- Students experiencing homelessness
It’s free to participate! How is the program funded?
The impact of COVID-19 on students’ academic experience has been tremendous in many ways, stretching far and inequitably for many students and families. The RYSE MPLS Summer Media Camp is free to all participants and is supported by Minneapolis Public Schools through Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER III) funds to address academic losses for students most affected by COVID-19.
What were some of the topics past participants created stories about?
Past RYSE MPLS Summer Media Camp participants developed stories on the following topics:
- Climate change
- Black women in politics and activism
- BIPOC-owned small businesses
- Mental health and addiction
- Cultural identity conversations
- Building community through food and more!
What is RYSE MPLS and SPEAK MPLS?
RYSE MPLS (Representing Youth Stories and Experiences in Minneapolis) is the youth media programming at SPEAK MPLS committed to providing engaging educational opportunities and equitable storytelling in Minneapolis. RYSE MPLS hosts youth events, youth-led forums, and summer media camp and after-school program. The goal of RYSE MPLS is to empower youth to become the experts in telling their own stories and to amplify their voices about issues that matter the most to them.
SPEAK MPLS is a member-powered media center reimagining the future of media in Minneapolis. Activate community connections and creative opportunities with two studios, classes, and equipment. Amplify your voice on SPEAK MPLS TV- the home of Minneapolis public access TV channels 16, 17 (798 HD), and 75 on Comcast. Stream online 24/7.