RYSE MPLS Summer Media Camp
Do you have an interest in media, news, and technology and want to tell stories that are important to you? Does collaborating with your peers on news stories sound exciting? Looking for hands-on experience with media technology and equipment? Then RYSE MPLS Summer Media Camp is for you!
RYSE MPLS (Representing Youth Stories and Experiences in Minneapolis) Summer Media Camp is a free immersive 2-week program in August for high school students interested in pursuing careers in media production, news reporting and storytelling. Students will work closely with local media and news professionals and collaborate with peers in small groups to produce video stories that will premier on the big screen and on TV!
Applications from current 8th graders entering 9th grade, and the graduating class of 2022 will be considered.
Choose one of the following cohorts, running Monday - Friday from 10am - 4pm:
- Cohort 1: August 1 - 12, 2022 (12 spots available)
- Cohort 2: August 15 - 26, 2022 (12 spots available)
Experienced instructors and mentors will guide students in becoming experts in telling their own stories through hands-on workshops in media production,news reporting, impactful storytelling, 4K cameras, audio and lighting techniques, and video editing with Adobe Premiere Pro. Students will build leadership and organizational skills, and gain valuable resume and portfolio-building opportunities.
RYSE MPLS will wrap up with a special screening event at The Capri Theater on August 31st, and be featured on SPEAK MPLS TV’s family of channels on Comcast in Minneapolis.
Students are required to participate in two additional days. Both cohorts will come together on the following dates for a final community screening:
- August 30 from 10am-4pm- All-cohort meetup and prep day for screening event
- August 31 from 2-8pm - Tech rehearsal, community dinner and screening event at The Capri Theater. Families are encouraged to attend!
RYSE MPLS Summer Media Camp is presented by SPEAK MPLS, and powered by Minneapolis Public Schools.
MORE PROGRAM DETAILS
- ▼What are the additional details of the program?
RYSE MPLS programming will take place at SPEAK MPLS’ south media center, located at 2429 Nicollet Avenue in south Minneapolis
- All students will receive a $200 stipend at the end of the program
- Daily breakfast, lunch, and snacks provided by Café Racer Kitchen
- Students needing bus cards will be provided Metro Transit passes
- All students will receive an annual SPEAK MPLS Storyteller membership (a $200 value) to advance their journey in media with access to production studios, equipment and discounted media production classes
- ◄Who is encouraged to apply to the RYSE MPLS Summer Media Camp?
We recognize that youth have unique identities and experiences that aren’t always represented in media and newsrooms. While RYSE MPLS welcomes applications from all students, those who identify as the following are encouraged to apply:
- High school students enrolled in 9th-12th grade at Minneapolis Public Schools for the 2022-2023 academic year. Applications from current 8th graders entering 9th grade, and the graduating class of 2022 will be considered.
- Students who qualify for free or reduced lunch
- Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) students
- English language learners
- Students with disabilities
- Students experiencing homelessness
- ◄It’s free to participate! How is the program funded?
- The impact of COVID-19 the student experience has been tremendous in many ways, with the impact stretching far and inequitably for many students and families. The RYSE MPLS Summer Media Camp is free to all participants and is supported by Minneapolis Public Schools through Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER III) funds to address academic losses for students most affected by COVID-19.
- ◄What is RYSE MPLS, and SPEAK MPLS?
Representing Youth Stories and Experiences in Minneapolis is the youth media programming at SPEAK MPLS committed to engaging educational opportunities and equitable storytelling in Minneapolis. RYSE MPLS hosts youth events, youth-led forums, and a new summer media camp. The goal of RYSE MPLS is to empower youth to become the experts in telling their own stories and to amplify their voices about issues that matter the most to them. SPEAK MPLS is a member-based community media center and the new home for public access TV in Minneapolis, as seen on Comcast cable network channels 16, 17 (798 HD) and 75. We provide access to media labs, studios, equipment, classes, and co-working space to help you create content and the platforms to amplify your voice.
RYSE MPLS SUMMER MEDIA CAMP APPLICATION
Applications are currently closed, and will continue to accept applications for a waiting list through July 29th, 2022. All applicants will be notified about the status of their application. Please contact SPEAK MPLS with any questions, or if you need assistance completing the application at email@example.com or 612-208-7215.